A Bit Of An Explanation

I am not a professional. Not anywhere near it. But I like to think that some little observations I have about language and the social construction of it are worthwhile.

Some of these notes were originally written for acquaintances with no linguistic experience whatsoever, so please be patient through the explanations of basic concepts, and the simplistic tone.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Game Time Wednesday: French To Slovak Colors

I must admit that it stroked the ego a little bit when you can translate from one non-native language to another. Even if it's just simple vocabulary words. Here's 16 flashcards of colors in both French and Slovak - study them, then click on the multiple game forms at the bottom to practice them! I'm partial to the matching one, myself.

What struck me, looking at the Slovak colors, is how similar they are to Czech. I knew the two languages were close, but these are really close. /oh look who fails at being articulate. I plan to look more into Slavic languages in the future - the relationships they have seem very similar to the Romance family.

No comments:

Post a Comment