A Bit Of An Explanation

I am not a professional. Not anywhere near it. But I like to think that some little observations I have about language and the social construction of it are worthwhile.

Some of these notes were originally written for acquaintances with no linguistic experience whatsoever, so please be patient through the explanations of basic concepts, and the simplistic tone.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Word Dynamo at dictionary.com

It should be no secret by now that I love language games, especially when it comes to vocabulary. So, recently I decided to check out dictionary.com's new(ish) addition, Word Dynamo.

How to describe it? The best way would be for you to go and see it for yourself, but basically, it's a catalogue of games for learning English vocabulary. What makes it different from, for example, the Language section at Quia is that once you sign up, you have a "word score" - a tracker of different words you've learned.

It's not completely accurate. I know I know way more words than what my current word score is, having only joined yesterday. But it gives you a real sense of accomplishment to see the "150 words added to your word score!" button.

There are different formats for the games you can choose from. I'm partial to the crosswords, myself. You can change and experiment with those to see which is best for you.

Also, it's not just for fun. If you need to study for school or work, you can create your own word lists and input them into the games so you can study with more than just flashcards.

So yes, I would definitely recommend this site for anyone who likes words.

(Also, I hope this makes up for missing Wednesday? *Puppy eyes*)

No comments:

Post a Comment