A Bit Of An Explanation

I am not a professional. Not anywhere near it. But I like to think that some little observations I have about language and the social construction of it are worthwhile.

Some of these notes were originally written for acquaintances with no linguistic experience whatsoever, so please be patient through the explanations of basic concepts, and the simplistic tone.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Game Time Wednesday: IPA code!

I've become increasingly interested in IPA ever since I first peeked into the world of phonetics. It fascinates me at the same time it frustrates me. But I was incredibly excited to find this little gem of a game: Can you name the word given their IPA pronunciation?

It's pretty simple: 26 English words in IPA are written in one box, and you type in the Latin alphabet equivalent for it. You don't have to go in order.

I did manage to get them all on the first try, but just barely - haɪt stumped me until the last minute. (I kept thinking it was "hide".)

A really fun way to practice your IPA knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment