A Bit Of An Explanation

I am not a professional. Not anywhere near it. But I like to think that some little observations I have about language and the social construction of it are worthwhile.

Some of these notes were originally written for acquaintances with no linguistic experience whatsoever, so please be patient through the explanations of basic concepts, and the simplistic tone.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Songs In Languages I Don't Speak - Round 16: Sámi Soga Lávlla

L.I.D.S.: Northern Sámi!




It might seem odd, but there are a couple national anthems that I really adore. Romania, Finland, Israel, Russia, and this one right here are my favorites.

So yes, this is the national anthem of the Sámi. What first caught my attention was how calm and lovely it is - it doesn't sound much like an anthem, as my piano teacher put it when I played it to her. (Unfortunately this video only has the first verse - there was a longer one up, but now I can't find it.)

I am incredibly fascinated by all the Sámi languages. Sámigiella in particular, but all of them have this incredible, unique sound that is a marvel to listen to. And even more than the way the languages sound, I love the way they look - the letter combinations are fascinating, and the words are a sight to behold. (Try taking a look at the lyrics of the song in many of the languages.)

No comments:

Post a Comment