A Bit Of An Explanation

I am not a professional. Not anywhere near it. But I like to think that some little observations I have about language and the social construction of it are worthwhile.

Some of these notes were originally written for acquaintances with no linguistic experience whatsoever, so please be patient through the explanations of basic concepts, and the simplistic tone.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Oppressing The Singular "They"


This is a copy of my brother's recent art report, which he had thrown down on the dining room table. I glanced to see what the circled correction by the teacher was about, only to be very disappointed - banning the use of the singular "they". In case it isn't legible in the picture:

When a viewer looks at Mars, God of War, their his or her eye would...


Come on, really? It looks like we still have a long way to go to get "they" to be accepted as singular in the "professional" world.

No comments:

Post a Comment